Saturday, August 24, 2013

College- Week 1

I can officially say that I have survived my first week of "sleep away" college. I'd like to think that I've done a little bit more than just survive (although I'm feeling a bit exhausted). I've already learned a LOT and the bumps have been very small so far.

So here are the things that I have learned so far

1) Walking everywhere will make your legs hurt a LOT. Basically I'm walking as much as I am at Bristol every single day. I'm guessing that's about 6 miles a day. That's the "easy" setting for walking distance on the Oregon Trail computer game I played (obsessively) when I was younger. I'm hoping that I will soon adjust. It isn't going to get easier once I'm dancing almost every day.

2) I know this is where I need to be. Over the past week I've been hearing things from my professors that have confirmed that this is the place I need to be. I had a moment where I was reflecting on where I've come from to get to this point and I realized something huge. All of those people who said I wouldn't make it as a performer and shouldn't pursue theater were wrong. I've proven them wrong already and now I'm just continuing to do so. There's a little bit of smug satisfaction in that, I will admit. However, I think the better part of that is that I haven't let the nay-sayers drag me down. Also will note that none of those people are going into the performing arts and I'm not really in touch with them anymore.

3) I will make friends, it does take time, and the people who I invest in are important. I've been slowly connecting with some people and I've fallen in with a bunch of the students who are closer to my age (since I've spent the past two years at community college), and a few others. I'm able to respect everyone in my class, but I'm glad that I am connecting a bit more closely with some of them. I'm looking forward to seeing how those friendships (and hopefully others) develop.

4) When something big comes up, people will be kind. My Papa (paternal Grandfather) passed away the day before I moved in, so Thursday night and most of Friday I was back at home for the wake and funeral. The faculty and my classmates were sincerely kind and generous during this time. I'm handling things well right now, but I know that if something comes up down the road that I have people who will be gracious and understanding.

So that's a little bit of what I'm learning that isn't really academic. If you wanted a play by play, I'm not sure I could have given you one. I've been doing so much and hanging out with so many people!
I suppose a few highlights would be.....

- Seeing Book Of Mormon for $25.
- Taking a boat tour around the city.
- Freshman Showings when I got up and sang and monologue-ed in front of my classmates.
- Researching the hauntings at the Congress Hotel (which I can see from my window)
- Today's afternoon at the Lincoln Park Zoo with a group of friends.

Tomorrow I am looking forward to going to church and then showing my Aunt and Nana my dorm room. Then I get to throw myself into a crazy week of classes and then labor day weekend back with my Faire family (one way or another).

-Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment