Friday, August 26, 2011

Cyd Charisse

Have you ever seen Cyd Charisse dance? It's just amazing. Purely amazing. 
As a child she overcame polio. To strengthen her muscles, a doctor reccomended dance lessons. She was thirteen when she began to take ballet class. 
She was Gene Kelly's favorite dance partner. That man was a hard act to follow, let alone keep up with! Yet, when I see them dance together, she manages to claim her half of the spotlight.

Yesterday I traipsed all over the city visiting several dance studios. All of them impressive. I have pretty much narrowed it down to two, based on location and accessibility. The dance studio I liked the most, unfortunately, is not easy to get to. 
I was able to watch class in two of the studios through the windows. It was amazing. The flexibility and strength that shows through their movements. The control and freedom that shows through the dance. They put everything they have into one single movement and carry it into the next. I could almost feel what it would be like to dance the combination they were practicing. It was thrilling just to watch them. Like I was home. Ever since my summer camp I've known that I am meant to dance. I need to dance. It's apart of me as much as breathing...well...that might be an exaggeration, but the point still stands. Dance is inside me, aching to be released. I have taken the next step in my journey of dancing. I can't wait to start taking class again. 

The downside to running all over, taking buses, trains, and walking/running/sprinting a great deal is...shin splints. If you've never had shin splints, they hurt like heck depending on how bad they are. And they can take weeks to heal. I can't properly flex or point my feet. Hopefully with a few days rest things will start to get better. 

-Astonishing-

No comments:

Post a Comment