Monday, October 17, 2011

B.N.R.C. aka the BookNookReviewCorner

The first Book Review!!!

Ok, so not exactly a SUPER AMAZING AWESOME book to start off the BookNookReviewCorner (For all you nutty vocabulary people yes I DID just use two words to describe where two walls meet each other), but it was a decent bit of fluff with actually some substance. So not cotton candy, but not a good steak dinner either.
btw- Lord of the Rings is a steak dinner, like a major steak dinner with a load of mashed potatoes (boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew!) and a heaping of greens with a volcano of gravy....
Dang it. Now I want to post about food.

Anyway back to the book!

Ophelia by Lisa Klein. 
I'd give this book Three Pens out of Five! \,\,\,\,\, (yes those are supposed to be pens, use your imagination!)

Yes boys, you won't want to read this, it qualifies as a chick book.
The story of Ophelia, Hamlet's girlfriend. In Shakespeare's tragic play Hamlet, Ophelia dies of madness by drowning herself. I actually quite like the whole insane-pathetic-but-slightly-prophetic-with-flower-symbolism deal she has going on in the play. This brought a whole new side of determination and velvet covered iron to her that I had never seen before. No this is not a feminist book. Ophelia just has a lot more...well...character.
Did I mention that Hamlet and Ophelia get married in this book? Oh yeah, that puts a whole new spin on things.
Ophelia is clever, skilled with herbs and healing, knows a lot of romance, but has no practical experience (For some of the book. I mean, well, she DOES get married).  She's got a lot more strength in her than she thinks and ends up kinda the way I predicted. I won't spoil the ending, although it's very chick flick.
Was the book a little slow at points? Maybe once or twice. Was it a leisurely read? Yes it was. Did I enjoy it? Well, it was a LOT better than Twilight, but I don't think it will make my bookshelf- but I might check it out from the Library once or twice more to re-read certain parts.
The book was well written and DIDN'T use modern day language.

Coming up in the BookNookReviewCorner- The Theatre Illuminata Trilogy part 1- Eyes like Stars
"I always walked the ragged edge." Or, in which you meet ME in book form.
I promise you intense hair color, dashing pirates, starving fairies, and a very persuasive air spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment