Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Dancing with Melinda

Since late November I've had a substitute teacher in my jazz dance class on Wednesday nights.
The first time I took class, I thought she might be a little eccentric, and I would definitely need to step up my game in class. Not that my regular teacher wasn't challenging me in his own way- Melinda just has a completely different style.

I've found that in the past two and a half months that I've grown leaps and bounds (no pun intended) as a dancer because of Melinda's teaching. She fun and quirky and every time I walked into class I knew I'd be working my butt off and having the time of my life.
Melinda makes you want to do well. She's got this catchphrase of adding the words "Fair enough?" at the end of most sentences. At first I thought it was a little odd, but it quickly grew on me and I'll probably be mimicking her sometimes.

It's because of Melinda that I'm applying to the school I'll be auditioning for on Feb 6. I told her about my audition and she gave me a huge hug and told me that she was sure I'm going to make it. Coming from someone as talented and experienced in dance as she is (She's studied in Israel, London, Paris- to name a few places), it meant a lot.

Because of Melinda's instruction I've learned:
Just to go for it, and go for it with joy.
My mind knows the steps, my body has to feel through the music.
I can keep up better than I thought.

So this is my very badly written tribute to a teacher that I hope to never forget. If I ever get a chance to study under Melinda, or dance in a show choreographed by her, I will leap (ok- pun intended) at the chance. In the very short time I've been able to study under her, she has made a difference in my dancing attitude and ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment