Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I know where my legs are...

If dance does anything- it makes your aware of your body.

I am VERY aware that I have hamstrings right now. Ouch...sore legs. It's really weird, but I love the feeling of being sore after a class. It means that I have worked hard and am getting somewhere. I love sweating during a really intense dance class.
Let's just say that I sweat a LOT last night.
Let's also make a point clear- I don't sweat a lot. Barely at all. I can be playing a full out game of football (soccer) or ultimate Frisbee and never even break a sweat. But put me in a dance class and I come out dripping. It's gross, but it's awesome at the same time!  I know I'm weird, so's everyone else in this world.

The dance class last night was really tough. Of course the other girls in the class at between the ages of 11-13 and they are all rubber bands. They just are able to spring and stretch like they were born that way. They also messed up quite a lot and had a lot to work on, just like me.
However- I remembered a quote by a professional ballet dancer. "You are there for no one but yourself." It's true too. I'm in dance class to work on MY technique, MY flexibility, MY dancing. Yeah so I can't do an illusion with a perfect split, but at least I can get my leg up there. No, I can't do a fire-bird with my foot touching the back of my head, but I will one day.  I'm not in class to compare myself to five little rubber-bandy girls who have been dancing since the day they were born. I'm there to improve myself and get myself where I want to go.
I realized last night during class just how much work I'm going to need to do to get to the place that I want to be at. Hopefully I'll be dancing four days a week, for 8 hours. 8 hours of dance as a starting point in a LOT. But when you think about it in the grand scheme of things- if you are dancing professionally, you are dancing every day for hours. You have classes, practices, rehearsals, and performances. Then, 8 hours looks like a week off.
It will be a starting point. A good one, I think. Hopefully it's the starting point I need to get a kickoff into my dance journey. Next step- going to "dance bootcamp" on Thursday. Workout, core training, and flexibility training. Oh yeah, I'll be hobbling on Friday.
And yes, I will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment